Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Better late?

After yesterday mornings oversleep mishap I had Malmo kick me awake this morning. Good thing he did or we were in replay land. I'm embarrassed to admit, tho, that despite sore ribs (are all kids so literal?) I struggled to find the vertical. By the time my feet were usefully engaged the bus had already passed so I was committed to the drive. It was only then that I remembered I'd scheduled an early morning inversion class over at Timber Pins for the fall bowling leaguers. What do to? Son or career? Boy does the rationalization kick in at those moments! School--who needs it?! Bowlers--who needs 'em?! (just kidding Mickey!). Luckily inspiration struck. Or I nearly struck it. At speeds the Deathmobile wished it could reach, I ran into (figuratively speaking of course--especially if anybody in law enforcement is reading this) a group of kids still waiting for the bus. I guess the bus they were waiting for had broken down and it was going to be another 35 minutes until a replacement came. Could I be so lucky?? Yes! So I hustled Malmo out of the Torino and had him wait with these kids. Proving one can serve both son and career!

I wish it had ended there, but one of those overprotective moms happened to be fussing over her little one there. She shouted something about how it was "illegal" to have your child wait at another bustop. It is at moments like these that you feel your yogic force surge. You don't fight hostility with hostility. I called her forward and introduced her to young Malmo. I told her to look into his little blue eyes and tell him it was illegal to go to school today. I told her to tell him it was illegal to get an education in this free country. And I told her to tell him he wasn't wanted here. And I did all this in one helluva tree pose. Once her veil of mommyhood shattered she finally saw the naked truth and relented.

And I managed to make it to my class only 10 minutes late! I wish every morning were this easy.

Namaste, Dallas (I remembered!)

2 comments:

  1. Umm Dall it's against school policy to take your child to a different bus stop. Its the new age of super security. Hate to tell you but the woman had a point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tams! I've noticed your savasana is really improving! Thanks for the 411 on school policy. Thing is I checked i361's policies and I find nothing on this at all. I'd like to believe you but....

    ReplyDelete