Thursday, September 9, 2010

Did you see us at the fair?

Just wanna thank everybody who stopped by the Cheever Yoga booth at the fair over the Labor Day weekend.  Shatra and I had a fantastic time.  And I wanna send a great big shout out to those who joined me and Shatra in honoring the town of Little Fork by doing tree pose with arms in hastasana on the hour.  Since we were maintaining the pose for as many breaths as hours things got a little hairy for some late in the day.  Fortunately the grass was soft!

And I hope you all got to see me and Malmo in the tractor races and Shatra at the wine tasting on Saturday.  I have to say I'm definitely gonna do the tractor races again next year (if we have a fair!).  The warmups were a blast.  It really gets the juices flowing to hear the roar and feel the wind in your face as you barrel down the track.  Can they make the track longer next year, tho??  100 feet is over in a flash.  If you're not right on your game at the start, you're cooked.  I have to admit my nerves were a little on edge.  Malmo came to my aid tho by shuttling libations over from the wine tasting.  The pisser is that by the time the main event rolled around I wasn't on my game, I was over my game.  The officials noticed my condition when I got on old Hillary's tractor by accident.  Things probably would have been ok if I hadn't been so insistent that it was indeed my tractor.  Well, one thing led to another and then they're telling me I'm out of the race.  I have to hand it to Malmo--he just stepped right up and said he'd race in my place.  We then had a little spat with these same overzealous officials because they didn't think Malmo was yet 14.  They couldn't see how a kid not yet in the 8th grade could be 14.  Apparently the wine glass in his hand wasn't convincing.  Fortunately they came to understand how bright Malmo is and they believed me when I said he skipped a grade.  And then just when everything seemed cool they give me "Hell" over no kill switch.  I mean come on how dangerous is this?  It's not like the blades are spinning!  I promised to have one next year and they grudgingly ok'd it.  I told Malmo to jump clear if things got dicey.  The unexpected benefit was that Malmo, being much lighter, had a real advantage in the races.  Unfortunately that advantage was wiped out when my too large helmet fell over his eyes about 75 feet down his first heat.  He only had a couple of minor scrapes to show for it due mainly to the fact that he inherits his father's flexibility.  Yoga to the rescue!  Again!

Namaste, Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment