Friday, September 17, 2010

The Undeniable Chi of Smokey


Though it's been commonly agreed that there are more than 200,000 words in the English language, there are many things that are difficult to explain with words. Some things you have to feel to know. Like truth, for example, or love, or a stubbed toe.

So when people say to me, "Hey Liz, Why did you move from Bemidji to International Falls?", there really aren't sufficient words to adequately answer. The best way to respond is by using words illustratively; a story. Every summer for 12 years my parents packed up our bus--our Wenzel Klondike Vacation Lodge 9 tent that my dad picked up for $40 at the "slightly defective" days sale at Noble's hunting and fishing store, 10 sleeping bags (there are 7 in my family but we learned, over time, to expect unexpected guests for a night or two), Coleman stoves and coolers (my brother Mo almost lost his right pinky in the metal clasp), canvas duffle bags, collapsible plastic water jugs, kerosene lanterns--and road-tripped from Bemidji to Zippel Bay, stopping mid-way in International Falls.

It was here in the park, sitting cross-legged in the grass eating my cream cheese and Welch's grape jelly sandwich, in the literal shadow of Smokey the Bear that I felt the energy shift inside me. It could have been all the fritos but I prefer not to think that. I was about 7 or 8 years old and when I looked up at Smokey's calm, knowing face, I began to understand my destiny. It was at that moment when I noticed the most obvious sign. Smokey clearly displays the stylized Buddhist hand gesture of Abhaya Mudra; open right hand, palm out, fingers (or in this case paw pads) pointed toward the sky, representing fearlessness and enlightenment. Though typically a Bodhisattva with right hand in Abhaya also has left hand in Varada Mudra, arm down, palm facing forward. Smokey, however, has his left hand firmly gripped on his shovel shaft signifying, I guess, some sort of manual exercise.

For all the summers to follow, the stop at the park was calming and meaningful and I knew that one day I would return to live here. Some of you may be familiar with the biblical metaphor of "the right hand of God", the place of honor. For me, my yogic and meditative path began in easy seated pose on the left paw of Smokey.




Shanti, Liz

6 comments:

  1. OMG!! Liz, even then you were a looker. Wow!! I saved this photo to my computer and blew it up 8000 times and made it my new desktop. I find yoga so inspiring. You are what yoga represents, so seeing you all day everyday on the screen in front of me will inspire me to new heights.

    Your ardha-ent (I'm a big fan of Tolkien too) admirer,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Peter,
    Thanks so much for your enthusiasm. I'm sorry I missed you at the yoga event last Tuesday. Everyone told me you were looking for me. Really. Everyone. Every single person. Now that you have my photo as your screen saver, would you mind returning the one from the "Meet the Instructors" board at the studio? I'm sure Mr. Larssen (the building maintenance person) can figure out a way to get it back into the secured plexiglass case.
    Thanks, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, you're more than my screen saver, you're my life saver. You're more than my keyboard, you're my key broad (hope you don't mind that word--I mean it in the most fawning way, since you're so deer to me--ha ha. Do you like my sense of humor?!). And you're right, Mr. Larssen can figure out a way, because he's the one that gave it to me in the first place. At $200 it was steal, so to speak. That oughta keep him in lottery tickets for a few days.

    Wish I were your Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter,
    I thought everyone affiliated with the studio understood Mr. Larssen's inability to stay on the wagon including, but not limited to, his use of cheap wine, unfiltered lucky strike's and lottery tickets. If I have to hear about his winning $20 Canadian Dollars on a scratch ticket in 1978 one more time I might scream. And now I understand that Mr. Larssen is not practicing savasana in the middle of the hallway. Gosh--I was so impressed with his ability to concentrate despite the cleaning woman vacuuming around him. Would you be interested in getting together with me and some of the other studio members to develop a rehabilitation plan for Mr. Larssen? --Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, I'd be happy to get together with you anytime. You know that. Mr. Larssen is quite capable of managing his own demons, as his liquor cabinet attests, so I think it best we leave him to his own devices, so to speak. Perhaps you and I can talk about this over a non-fat decaf latte. My treat. Call me. Peter.

    ReplyDelete